Thursday, March 1, 2012

Reformed Faith

One of the great drawbacks of modern media has been the development of soundbites. Too often our news comes to us in memorable quotes. Indeed, I have to admit that I have worked on my ability to give interviewers soundbites, so that some of what I am saying may actually make it into the story they are covering. If that is how they work, then I need to be wise enough to make sure they get something they will consider using that I actually want them to use.

One of the problems with all of this is that we seem willing to believe that our personal stance as religious or political people should be defined by soundbites. In public poles, too many people report that Christian public ethics are restricted to abortion, and same-sex relationships. In public opinion, we Christians seem to have been relegated to a sound bite.

The Reformed Faith, however, has always been a holistic faith. By that I mean that we understand full well that God's sovereignty is over all things, and that we therefore live out our faith ways that address all of life, in all of its complexity.

For this reason, I was particularly happy to see this article by Lisa Sharon Harper describing why Christian faith looks different among different Christians, and how important it is that we take care in denying the validity of another person's Christian faith, just because we disagree with some of their politics. To read the article, go to this web site: http://www.sojo.net/blogs/2012/03/01/black-evangelicals-white-evangelicals-and-franklin-grahams-repentance

No comments: